ELELE PAGES >>
Start Date: 1/7/2005
End Date: 30/6/2008
Creation of a Center for the promotion of respect to diversity
CREATIVE ACTIVITIES FOR THE PROMOTION OF RESPECT OF DIVERSITY
Within the framework of Elele II project, the Municipality of Elefsina and the Centre for Artistic and educational Training “ Schedia”, have created the Centre of Creative Activities for the Promotion of Respect for Diversity, which is located in a new building in Elefsina , Kypreou str.(Alonia Park ).
The Centre includes in its mission statement the advocacy of children’s rights, as they are described in the International Convention on the Rights of the Child
For the purposes of the present Convention, a child means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.
1. States Parties shall respect and ensure the rights set forth in the present Convention to each child within their jurisdiction without discrimination of any kind, irrespective of the child's or his or her parent's or legal guardian's race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, property, disability, birth or other status.
2. States Parties shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that the child is protected against all forms of discrimination or punishment on the basis of the status, activities, expressed opinions, or beliefs of the child's parents, legal guardians, or family members.
1. The child shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of the child's choice.
2. The exercise of this right may be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:
(a) For respect of the rights or reputations of others; or
(b) For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public), or of public health or morals.
1. States Parties recognize the right of the child to rest and leisure, to engage in play and recreational activities appropriate to the age of the child and to participate freely in cultural life and the arts.
2. States Parties shall respect and promote the right of the child to participate fully in cultural and artistic life and shall encourage the provision of appropriate and equal opportunities for cultural, artistic, recreational and leisure activity.
The artistic activities of the Centre facilitate communication and expression of experiences, in an atmosphere that encourage cooperation and cultivate respect of the “ other”. All artistic activities are implemented within a pedagogical framework which promotes respect for diversity and denies any kind of bias regarding:
social and cultural background
More specifically we design and implement activities that
-respect children’s social and cultural background, religion, maternal language, individual interests and specific needs and cultivate in children a feeling of belongingness, confirming their identity and raising their self-esteem;
-offer children stimuli that foster their creativity, developing their cognitive skills while improving their Greek language skills and enabling them to participate more actively in the classroom, improving thus their school performance;
-give children of different social, cultural, religious and ethnic backgrounds the opportunity to interact, collaborate and cultivate mutual understanding;
-encourage children to participate as active citizens through activities that initiate them to democratic procedures and offer them the opportunity to experience the meaning of social intervention.
-empower parents so that they can better support their children’s education;
-support parents’ belonging to minorities and to encourage them to take initiatives that would make them more visible to the community;
-sensitise educators and social agents to the skills, aptitude and needs of children of diverse backgrounds, so that they come to question the assumed supremacy of one versus another background, cultivating a respect for the right to be different and an appreciation of the richness that diversity offers us;
-support educators in applying innovative instructional techniques that focus on artistic activities.
THE PROGRAM OF THE CENTER OF
FOR THE PROMOTION OF RESPECT TO DIVERSITY
The program of the Centre includes:
-Workshops focused on various form of art, addressing children(theatrical expression, fine art, music, video art)
-Artistic expression workshops for educators and parents.